Sunday, March 8, 2015

Works In Progress

Well, It's been about a month since my last entry. So, here goes.

I'm loving my new job. I'm even more in love with school. I've never cared as much about grades and succeeding as I do now, but I guess that's what happens when you work towards your passion.

I'm already six weeks into my course and have learned the basics of sound, music theory, MIDI and signal processing. I'm particularly stoked on receiving Native Instruments(software) which is basically 12,000 sounds and instruments at my disposal. This of course has inspired me to work on new material in between my assignments. My EP is closer than ever. I've used the opportunity to reevaluate what I want to do with this education. I'm thinking I still want to be a producer, but I want to work towards something greater. I've outlined a three album production plan. Each project would have a different trajectory that would raise awareness and funds for communities that I want to support. If I could find a way to use the money raised for these projects to give back to the community it would be a success. I just need to get past the first step and get through school.

Aside from refining my musical goals,  I've hit a wall with my writing endeavors. As many of you know I've been working on a storyline/screenplay for a few years now. I keep going back and forth between ideas in how to present it.

I'm self taught in almost everything I'm doing. I never took art classes to teach myself how to draw and even though it's been years since I've created any new work in that medium, I know it's still in me. Same goes with writing. And singing. To a professional writer and reader it's no surprise that I have ways to go before I master proper format. Here's the thing though. I've never been one to follow the rules completely. In reality, there are no rules. I can do whatever the hell I want. It's my work.

On one hand, the perfectionist's hand, I want to wait until everything is "ready." Basically, I want to see everything out to it's fullest potential and I don't want to jump the gun.

The other hand, I'm all too aware that time is precious. Tomorrow is not promised. Perhaps it's best to share what you have so at least some people see it.

I'm currently inspired by the serial novel format, which would allow me the chance to introduce my characters in real time in small increments. Typically, serial novels like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City(which I recommend you read) were published in newspapers as regular installments. Well, let's face the fact that physical newspapers are on their way out. Everything is digital now. If I were to take this route I could post the installments onto my blog as soon I'm done with them. Hopefully gain an audience, slowly, but surely.

I'm not trying to become famous. A few years ago was a different story. I wanted the glory. Now that I see the larger picture my goals have changed. I just want to create. I want to share my view of the world. Many people aren't going to like my perspective. I'm preparing myself for the harsh judgement of the internet. People are vicious when hiding behind their computers. If I go this route, I must expect many critics to slam my work for everything that it's not. And everything it is.

I feel like I'm in a race against time, being pulled in two different directions. It's dizzying. Exhilarating, but dizzying.

Here's a little about the work itself. First off, when people ask me what it's about, I fumble for precise words, trying not to give too much away. And I fail. The story is so complex with backstory and side plots. If I want to sell it, I must find a way to compress it into a "logline." A logline is a one to two sentence summary of the plot. It's almost like a tagline, but for your screenplay/script. I'd been grappling with the perfect one for months and finally settled with this:

"The personal lives of four public figures collide during a series of national security mishaps."

I'm pleased with it. It tells you there are four main characters and who they are(to an extent) and the basic plot line, without giving too much away, hopefully creating some allure.

So we have four public figures. Who are they?

At one time they were simply names in a song from my concept album, The Devil's Memoir. Much like the album itself, it sparked something greater. First I had the drawing which inspired the poetry, which became the lyrics to the album. I realized I didn't just have an album in the works, but a larger story. Over the next few years I created entire lives for these characters. Their families have established pasts. Their grandparents are accounted for. I felt it was necessary to know where they had come from and where their parents came from in order to make their own paths more believable, more human.

Now what do I do with all this material?! 

I realized I had way too much going on to make it just one novel or screenplay. Reformatting it into a series just seems like the natural way to go. It gives me the freedom to slowly introduce them. It gives them the freedom to grow naturally. I like the idea of them living in real time. It allows us(the readers/viewers) to see the world as it is and as it could be through their eyes. The story and the album have the same goal of striking an emotional chord with the reader/listener, giving them a sense of familiarity. I want the work to bring everyone to the same level. Hopefully in that instance people will understand that we are in essence, all the same. All fighting for something. All dreaming of something greater. All searching for a missing piece to make us whole again.

Here is a small introduction of the four main characters in real time:

Ben Drake: Professional rugby player for the American Union aka The Eagles. He is 20 years old with blonde hair and blue eyes. The picture-perfect California boy. His sportsmanship as a fly-half has won rugby more respect with American athletes and his sex appeal has won him much attention in American tabloids. He isn't a fan of his newfound fame and focuses on preparing for the Rugby World Cup later this year, where he hopes to elevate his team to the top ten bracket. He is private, humble and dedicated which gives him an element of mystery with all who meet him.

Ben's family owns the largest independent dairy farm in the west coast, Drake Farms Organics.  They have recently incorporated a solar energy venture known as Drake Solar Solutions. Both companies are regularly faced with legal roadblocks put in place by the USDA and their clients at Sunset Farms and Biocorp Technologies, who are attempting to monopolize the nation's beef and dairy industry.

Mary Douglass: A socialite with porcelain skin and fiery red hair. She is the "billionairess" to her late-father's fortune that accumulated from stock in petroleum, finance, biotech and corporate media. After his(Richard Douglass) death in 1990, Mary, at only 8 years old, became an instant celebrity due to her title as the youngest and richest heir in the United States. Mary grew up in the spotlight and learned to love it. By the time she was 25, Mary's resume included modeling, acting, reality TV and rehab. She is now 32 years old and has reinvented herself as a philanthropist, throwing lavish charity galas that host celebrities and politicians alike.  The youth obsessed culture she helped perpetuate is growing bored with her current lack of "drama." Social media is unforgiving of her recovery, hoping for a relapse that will make her exciting once again. Critics attack her age claiming she's too young to retire the party scene, yet too old to break headlines, or date the young boys she's often photographed with. It's a harsh reality of a pill that Mary is having a hard time swallowing.

David Cross: A tall, lanky journalist for Freespeak News, with horned rimmed glasses and ardent disposition. He is the younger, half-brother to Mary. Shortly after Richard Douglass died, Mary's mother, Adrian Douglass, remarried Samuel Cross. He was an investigative journalist working for her late-husband's broadcasting empire, One Net Media(ONM). The controversial courtship became national news and followed the family henceforth. Subsequently, David grew up in the spotlight because of who his family was, and learned to resent not only the corporate media hounds at ONM, but also his sister, Mary, who's vanity and materialism has spoiled what he believes to be a lost opportunity to make a real difference. David has chosen to follow his father's footsteps in exposing the secrets of America's elitist "one percent."

Samuel Cross left ONM in 2012 when the media giants showed no signs of nearly eradicating their investigative departments nationwide. Samuel used his own revenue to start the ultra progressive Freespeak News which has two purposes: to find jobs for laid-off journalists with integrity, and to fight the conservative media machine who has resorted to tabloid tactics and sensationalism.

Jonathan Kahlo AKA Johnny K: Internet blogger/Activist. Johnny is 19 years old and a wild child with dark, androgynous features. He grew up in a conservative, abusive household and ran away at the young age of twelve. He found his estranged grandmother, Mill, in San Francisco and lives with her. Unlike Johnny's parents, Mill has accepted him for who he is and urges him to embrace his individuality. Unfortunately, he ran with concept, becoming an addict of sex and designer drugs by the time he was sixteen. A near-fatal incident was the "rock bottom" that yanked Johnny out of his downward spiral. He decided to start a public video journal documenting his experiences with abuse, sexuality, intimacy issues, addiction and suicide attempts as well as sharing his own views on the current social state of American youth culture. The blog is gaining momentum along with Johnny's motivation to make a real difference in the world around him.



So, there they are. Four different characters with four different paths, all motivated by something unique to their own lives and experiences. The idea is to allow them to grow in real time. Telling their stories as if they were living in a similar world.

Like most fictional characters and the people who created them, there is a bit of me and/or people I know mixed in. At least that's how it started, however, they have evolved into their own realities.

The next question is: Where do I start?

I could start at the beginning. Or, I could post accounts as they materialize, using real-world events as inspiration. The benefit of me not having proper training in the writing field is that I don't know the rules. I can ignore them and simply tell it how I want. You'll either love it or hate it. The more I think about it, I'm leaning towards this solution.... I think I'll make my own rules.

Stay tuned!







No comments:

Post a Comment